Not many people like Cabbage. Its not the cabbage that tastes bad, since the way it is cooked defines its taste. Cabbage when properly cooked becomes an all time favorite. I myself hated to have cabbage curry when i was a kid and i used to pester my mom a lot. I used to make those faces and eat without any choice. Now i know the reason why i didnt like it. She used to boil cabbage and then saute with tadka. Somehow the smell when cabbage is boiled makes me nauseate. But later my mom started making without actually boiling cabbage.


Cabbage cooked along with potatoes, peas and sweet touch of coconut takes the plain cabbage to the next level. This following recipe is from my MIL and no wonder this curry is my husbands favourite. The funny part is he eats most of the potatoes and i eat the cabbage but we do share peas together in this curry(hehehe). Weird, he likes potatoes but not the cabbage but still wants cabbage in the curry.. CONFUSING right! Moving to the recipe..,


You need:

  • 2 cups of tightly packed medium finely chopped cabbage
  • 1 large red/boiling potatoes( No Idaho or baking potatoes please )
  • 1/2 cup peas
  • 4-6 green chillies
  • 1/4 cup of grated fresh coconut
  • 6-8 curry leaves
  • 3 stalks cilantro
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds( jeela karra )
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds( Aavalu )
  • 3-4 tbsp oil
  • Salt to taste

How to:
  • Chop cabbage finely, potatoes 1 inch cubes and green chillies length wise
  • In kadai or pan heat oil and add cumin and mustard seeds
  • When they start to pop add curry leaves, green chillies
  • Add potatoes and green peas
  • Saute for a min and then add cabbage
  • Add salt and turmeric and mix together and cover with a lid
  • Cook on medium flame stirring occassionaly. Make sure you dont burn cabbage
  • When the potato is cooked add coconut and fry till all the water evaporates
  • Adjust salt to taste
  • Switch off the heat and add chopped coriander

Yum! Cabbage and aloo curry with peas in cabbage leaf!

Cabbage in this curry isnt overcooked or undercooked its just perfect. I am sure after tasting this dish your taste buds would ask for MORE! Serve this curry with hot rice, chapathi or naan!

Tags:Cabbage Aloo Curry, Cabbage and coconut curry, Cabbage peas potato curry

22 COMMENTS:

Padmaja said...

Hey nice n simple dish!!!
I would love to have this with rotis!!!

FH said...

Love the presentation! Delicious recipe, thanks:)

Raks said...

Different from the usual cabbage poriyals..Thanx for sharing the recipe..!

Padma said...

Loved ur presentation Kalva...hey btw mee peru enti?

Richa said...

hey, that is one of the prettiest looking cabbage subzi's i've seen :)
i'm sure even those who stay away from cabbage will be tempted!

Timepass said...

Nice combination of aloo, cabbage and peas...

Namratha said...

This looks so yummy Kalva, its a nice recipe...I'm bored of making cabbage the same way all the time...this one I'm gonna try! :)

remya said...

simple n delicious!!! gud combo of potato,cabbage n peas...

Anonymous said...

Potato and cabbage are my alltime favorite combination and that too with rotis, yumm!

Siri said...

Love the combo of cabbage n potato. dear kalva..:)...

Namratha said...

Hi Kalva, I tried this and it was awesome! Pic in my blog :)

Namratha said...

Hey I really loved it Kalva,do tell your MIL:) And this is how my granny cooks cabbage too, she prefers a one-pot thing than boiling it separately and then doing the tadka..I'm gonna make this again with chapathis...this time we had it with rice.

Dori said...

I LOVE cabbage! Your pictures are so appetizing :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! This recipe is wonderful. I wrote about it on my blog: http://ahimsavegetarian.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/potatoes-cabbage-and-peas-curryand-thou-beside-me-in-the-wilderness/

Anonymous said...

Is this a dry curry? I have a hard time eating curry with a lot of gravy because I'm a picky eater and the texture of a lot of foods bothers me. But I love sauteed(not boiled) cabbage and I've only ever seen that used in Indian food.

KALVA said...

Yes this is a dry curry Anonynouus.. Thanks for the comment

Miriam said...

This dish looks wonderful and I am going to try it tonight. It is also beautiful, I hope mine will looks as good as yours. I hope you are ok that I am referring your site in my blog. Your blog is in my favorites now!
I am serving this with chicken tandoori, I hope it's not a sacrilege. :) Miriam (http://uma-mi.blogspot.com)

Damaris said...

Wow this is delicious, thank you

Archana said...

I had only a little bit of cabbage and peas and thought of adding potatoes to increase the volume. Googled for cabbage-potato curry and landed on your recipe. Surprise, surprise, you had included peas too! Made the dish but omitted the coconut - still it turned out very nice. It made a great combo with chapathi.

Vanita said...

I tried this recipe yesterday, and it came out great...jus loved it...and it is so easy to prepare :)...thanks for sharing...will try out more of your recipes...

Vanita said...

I tried this recipe yesterday, and it came out great...jus loved it...and it is so easy to prepare :)...thanks for sharing...will try out more of your recipes...

Vanita said...

I tried this recipe yesterday, and it came out great...jus loved it...and it is so easy to prepare :)...thanks for sharing...will try out more of your recipes...

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
Web Informer Button